Welcome to ICT
Information Communication Technology (ICT) Directorate
JIGJIGA University as one of the Universities in Ethiopia having more than 12 years of age, has been strived to support the main core processes i.e. teaching and Learning, administration affairs, Community service and research processes by ICT services.
JIGJIGA University Information Communication Technology Directorate was established in the year 2003 and restructured in July 2013, following the Business process reengineering and new structure from Ministry of Education applied to support the core mandates of the University.
The Information and Communication Technology Directorate of Jigjiga University (JJU), ensure the delivery of Information and Communication Technology services to the university’s various functional units based on their needs. JIGJIGA University has recognized the role of ICT as an enabler for the attainment of its goals and strategic objectives. The directorate is also accountable to the president and it is currently organized into five functional units i.e. Network Infrastructure & Services, Learning and Teaching Technology, Technical Support and Maintenance, Business Application Development and Administration and Training and Consultancy Service. It provides the JJU community with a broad range of ICT services including email, Internet and telephone services, IP surveillance, e-learning, Digital signage system, website, Smart classes, Video Conference, maintaining failed ICT equipment (computers, laptops, printers, photocopiers, scanners, UPS, LCD projector and network devices), providing training services and manage ICT academies i.e. Cisco, Microsoft 360, and others.The university wide computer network is the basis for several services which will improve the university’s teaching and learning process. ICT services encompass but are not restricted to the following services provided by the University and third parties on its behalf, Network infrastructure and computing devices including the physical infrastructure both cable and wireless connections, together with servers, firewalls, switches, routers, wireless access points, desktop computers, laptops, tablets, phones, printers, scanners, photocopiers, LCD projectors, projection screens, smart boards, disc drives, digital signage (display screens), cameras, CCTV and other peripheral devices; and ICT services including web services (e-mail, e-learning, Institutional email address website), Internet access, FTP service, cloud service, storage, maintenance, ICT training, digital promotions, business automation.
- Wireless Network Services.
The wireless network allows customers the freedom to make use of Wi-Fi® enabled devices to connect to the Internet without needing to plug in a cable. Almost all campuses have their hot spots a wireless network available. Most student access the wireless inside the campus have the wireless access that helps students get access to the network services. Staff apartments have also wireless network services at their living rooms.
E-learningis defined as a formal educational process in which instruction take place in it’s entirely or partially when the instructors and students are not in the same place at the same time. E-learning higher educational institution has a responsibility of align information technologies as a positive force for encouraging creative pedagogies for colleges and expanding instructional options for students. Totally we have 23500 E-learning users (students and Teachers) in three colleges namely, Institutes of Technology and school of computing science and College of Natural and Computational Science and College of Bossiness and economics and collages of agriculture, health science ,collages of social science ,collage of veterinary medice ,law school ,Somali language and literature ,school of social work school of behavioral and study
Teaching and Learning Technology Unit Roles and responsibilities:
- Plan, implement and manage E-learning infrastructure
- Work with the academic departments for course material preparation and uploading
- Plan, implement and manage Digital Library infrastructure
- Create the technical infrastructure within campuses, inter-campuses and inter-universities for video conferencing and tele-education.
The objective of the ICT Technical Support and Maintenance is to provide flexible customer-oriented ICT services to the HU user by receiving problem calls, requests, and enquiries and on all the solutions the appropriate ICT personnel meet the needs of every customer. The Technical Support and Maintenance Service is available during working hours, Monday to Friday, 8: 00 am to 5:00 pm.
- ICT Technical Support and Maintenance section
- Technical Support and Maintenance Unit Roles and responsibilities
- Single point of contact for ICT related issues, problems, requests …
- Provide quick services to its users, provide problem identification, support and resolution functions to its customers
- Record, monitor problems being reported to ICT, update users on status of problems, and report on service level metrics for services provided
- Compile a knowledge base of problems and solutions, for use by first level support personnel
- Track and report on Service Level performance that it achieves and ICT delivers
- Maintain failed office equipment (printer, ups, computer, laptops, phones, network devices)
- Perform preventive maintenance regularly
- Keep an inventory of maintained and replaced items
- Prepare depreciation, discarding and replacement plan for equipment.
- Maintenance of Systems in use may be done depending on type of maintenance required. If the maintenance is related to fixing bugs/errors in the working system, it will be done the soonest possible once request is submitted from the user. However, maintenance related to additional functionality demand may seriously be assessed and incorporated as a new version (to be numbered) within defined period of maintenance.
- E-mail services
- Email is considered an official means of communication at JIGJIGA University. JJU provides central email services to support the educational, research, and administrative activities of the University and to serve as a means of official University communication to members of the community. The university has its own mail server with domain name http://www. jju.edu.et/currently, there are more than 1600 Instructors of the university who are using the e-mail service. The University web mail can be accessed through
To effectively conceive, develop, implement, utilize, and manage appropriate information systems in order to provide integrated, coordinated and customer-focused quality ICT services to JIGJIGA University in line with its vision, mission and objectives.
To be a center of innovation in the provision of quality ICT services to JIGJIGAUniversity.
- To identify, acquire and install relevant ICT resources and implement the technology transfer University-wide.
- To manage operations and maintenance of ICT resources.
- To manage databases of information systems.
- To train end-users on computer literacy and offer end-user computing support.
- To offer technical advice and consultancy on acquisition of ICT resources.
- Planning, implementation and development of ICT infrastructure.
- To work with JJU stakeholders and governmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Developing or customizing applications
Core Values of ICT Office
- Provision of quality ICT services to the Jigjiga University.
- Management, control and maintenance of ICT in the University.
- Advising the University authorities on all ICT matters.
- Formulation of ICT policies for the University.
- Interpretation of ICT policies and related matters for the University.